There are several different types of mold that can grow and flourish in homes. As you might expect, mold is a fungus and dangerous. If left to grow, mold can invade the home and cause a variety of serious health issues. If you believe you have mold growing in your home, learn how to identify it and what to do if you do have it:
The Common Types of Indoor Mold
Mold can grow both indoors and out; however, outdoor mold is usually less of a problem. Some common indoor molds are:
- Aspergillus: Is a black or dark green mold with a fuzzy appearance. It can cause a variety of symptoms, including allergic reactions, hypersensitivity, inflammation, and upper respiratory issues.
- Aureobasidium: Is a black and pink mold with a fuzzy or soft appearance. It is commonly found growing on wooden surfaces such as window frames, floorboards, and furniture. It may also be present on painted items, such as paintings. Most people are allergic to this mold, so they may experience a number of symptoms include allergies and inflammation.
- Botrytis: Is a dark grey or black mold with a slightly fuzzy appearance. It is usually found in damp areas with high humidity, such as bathrooms or kitchens. Most people react adversely to this mold and may notice sudden allergies or asthma attacks.
- Cladosporium: Is a dark green mold with a fuzzy or furry appearance. It is a versatile mold and grows both in warm and cool climates. It is usually found on fabrics, such as carpeting; however, it may also be present on wooden surfaces. Like most molds, it can wreak havoc on the upper respiratory system.
- Stachybotrys Chartarum: Is a black and slimy mold that is often referred to as "black mold." It is usually quite noticeable and produces an unpleasant scent, usually a musky odor. The mold is usually found in areas that are constantly wet or damp, such as air conditioning units. It produces toxin compounds which can cause serious—and sometimes life-threatening—health issues. People with black mold in their homes often suffer from chronic infections, severe fatigue, breathing issues, and even issues with the brain.
Although these molds aren't necessarily life-threatening in small amounts, they do need to be treated quickly to prevent damage to the home and human body.
What to Do If You Find Mold
If you do find mold in your home, contact a professional mold inspector to locate and identify the mold. The professional will likely take a sample for analysis and then offer a variety of treatment options for you. To learn more, contact a company like American Environmental Specialists LLC with any questions you have.